Thursday, April 20, 2006

East Grand Rapids and the Yuppies

I ran a good 6 yesterday, most of it through EGR. I started to count the blue SUV's with big yellow E stickers in the back window that passed me. I lost track but I can say they almost beat the love wins stickers, almost. All of these vehicles, rush hour, coming home from cubicle world down town to high mortgage and "hire a landscaper" suburbia, all had one driver. These ginormous SUV's guzzling the fuel that my friends are dying to protect and these stupid white middle class Americans are to self-centered to see it. You know they all came from the same subdivision and they are all going to the same tall building downtown. But car pooling might mean they would have to talk to their neighbor rather than try to out do their neighbor. How do these people live? how the hell do you take your next breath knowing that the only reason you did was to get ahead!?
and how am I any different?

Monday I attemted a 5k in 20 minutes, I made it only 2.4 miles in 20mins which was such a let down.
I ran 4 today with James. We stopped to watch the fish jump up the ladder by the river. Amazing run

1 Comments:

Blogger Your Mother said...

As someone who owns a 15mpg Blazer (and walks 2-6 miles a day), i can say I feel the same. And its "Christians" who own these things in GR, all the "non Christians" are democrats so they all drive Priuses. And aren't "Christians" supposed to be the neighborly ones? Ah, so typical of me, demeaning the ones I’m supposed to love. Glad to see you have a blog.

6:15 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home